Sunday, February 9, 2014

Valentine's Door Hanger




Less than a week to go to Valentine's Day and I finally finished the door hanger for the front door. It took double the time since I made some fatal errors that resulted in me having to start over from scratch. But it's done and it's hanging on the door in the snowmaggedon that is continuing outside.

I wanted an XO door hanger and had the idea to modge podge some scrapbook paper on to the X and O letters I picked up from Michaels.




First I traced the letters on to the paper. And there's the first mistake.





I didn't look at the paper before I traced on the back.  Oh. Heck.




I figured I could fix it by matching the pattern and cutting and modpodging the new piece over top of the booboo.  Yay me.




Then I got the bright idea of spray painting the letters pink to match the paper.  Except I forgot to read the label and wound up with high gloss pink that wouldn't dry.  Mistake number two.




I'm still plowing ahead thinking it won't matter all that much until I realized I had left the lid off the matte  modpodge and the contents were a big rock.  Seriously.




I moved on to the high gloss modpodge.  At this point, I realize that by tracing the paper on the back it didn't fit when I went to attach it to the front of the letters because they weren't symmetrical.  It's at this point that I poured a glass of wine and gave up.

Fast forward two weeks and I'm at Hobby Lobby when I see a much cheaper version of the letters. Yay! Grabbed the X and the O for $2.49 each.  Much better than the $6.99 white ones I got at Michael's in Canada.

So here we go again.  This time I carefully traced the letters on the paper, pattern side up so I knew they would match up.  I didn't bother painting them at all and just went straight to modpodging the paper on the letters.




Once the letters were dry, I flipped them over and attached some pink ribbon (from my endless supply) to hook the letters together and at the top to make a bow.





I also hot glued these cute little crocheted roses to the bottom of the letters to jazz them up a bit.

















And success!! Finally!





 And here it is hanging on the front door.





Everything has looked so bare since the Christmas decorations came down, I was thrilled to finally have this door hanger finished.



Linking up to my regular parties and to  Serenity Now, Home Stories A to Z,  Cedarhill FarmhouseCoastal CharmJennifer RizzoFrom My Front Porch to YoursSavvy Southern Styleand Salt Tree. 

4 comments:

  1. Jenna this is so beautiful! We love it! Thanks for linking it up to our weekly Crafty Showcase. We will be featuring this later today on our Facebook page! Way to go and keep sharing your beautiful projects with us. Susie @Bowdabra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sweet project! Love it!!! Thanks for sharing thisl! Would love to have you visit me sometime :)
    Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are super cute! Great job! I def need to start being more festive, it's just fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty!!! I love the X & O decorations for Valentine's Day!!!! Pinning

    ReplyDelete