Monday, February 17, 2014

End Table Up-cycle




I was at Babies' R Us this week and realized that we are officially finished with babies and nurseries in our house.  The Bubs is 18 months and while he's still a little baby to me, we're definitely past the bottles and new baby stage. I was sad but a little relieved at the same time, if you know what I mean. Which is probably why I love working on nurseries, especially if they're not mine.

My daycare provider welcomed a sweet little baby girl right before Christmas and, oh my goodness, she is soooo adorable.  A few months before she was born, I stripped and painted her dressers in pink and white. They turned out to be pretty awesome and I wanted to keep them.





Then Tara found this little Queen Anne end table at a thrift store and I got right to work. Okay. Maybe I took a few weeks but I definitely got on it. Eventually. Hmmm, must have been still warm out because I noticed some sunscreen sitting on the table. Sigh.





I didn't want to strip and sand so I just cleaned the table well with TSP and used Annie Sloan's Pure White to cover the table.  It only took two coats and it was ready for waxing.





You can see I was also working on some rocking chairs in the living room at the same time.  Wow!  I had some serious extra time on my hands that week, lol.

The table was cute, but I thought I needed a little something which is when I remembered buying this stencil set from Hobby Lobby a few months ago. (This was clearly before Martha made her ridiculous statements about bloggers and I stopped buying anything she made!)





I thought the little rope detail around the edges would look really cute and tie the piece in with the fabric and theme of the nursery.





Here she is all finished up!









A quick waxing and this piece was done within a couple of hours.  Sweet!

I wasn't sure about what to do with the handle but in the end I left it gold and just re-attached it.  Lovin' gold!





Since there was a little bleed through in some spots, I distressed those spots to shabbify it a bit and hid the dark spots. Love how cute this piece is.








Gotta love that ASCP....makes a furniture up-cycle so easy!



I party here and over at Serenity Now, Home Stories A to Z,  Cedarhill FarmhouseCoastal CharmJennifer Rizzo, Blackberry VineFrom My Front Porch to YoursSavvy Southern Styleand Salt Tree. 


17 comments:

  1. visiting from Manic Monday - how creative! Wish I had the talent for more diy remodels....perhaps I'll get my artist sister to do this for me ;) Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table caught my eye over at the One More Time Events Party - I love the rope detail! I recently finished a table exactly like this one - they're a great find.
    Marie@TheInteriorFrugalista

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty I love it!!! I love me some Annie Sloan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also meant to say that I love the pink and white dresser!

      Delete
  4. Lovely project. What did Martha say about bloggers??! #the winthrope chronicles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two table exactly like this in my garage awaiting some love from me.. I love your rope detail - such a cute addition ..... Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this I need to upcycle some things in my house

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a wonderful transformation. I didn't know you could paint without stripping the furniture. Thanks for sharing that info with me. I've got a piece I'd love to work on but didn't want to go through that long striping process. You did a fantastic job with the dresser too. I love the pink and white. Thanks for sharing with us at Wake Up Wednesday Linky Party.
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this cheerful little piece! And I can't believe it only took you a couple of hours!!!
    Thanks for linking up to TTB! ox

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! Amazing!!! I love what you did on the top! I just refinished a table.. whew! Thanks for linking up to Create Link Inspire party! Emily@nap-timecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This really looks great! If I tried to do this it would take a couple of days not hours! I leave painting things to my husband. What did Martha say about bloggers? I am curious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alrighty now...what a great DIY! Thanks for sharing and linking up with us at the #WWDParty. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous transformation. Wanted to let you know I'm featuring you when my link party opens up tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi!!!

    I love the dresser(as you notice PINK is my fav color!!!) and the rope detailing is the BEST!!!

    Have a great weekend!!!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete