Before I start telling y'all about this project, I should share how much I hate sewing. HATE IT! A few years ago I acknowledged defeat and gave my machine away vowing never to sew again. Well, I caved and bought a cheap-o sewing machine from Walmart over the labor day weekend. As usual, it was all about being thrifty. I'd been prowling local stores Etsy looking for new throw pillows and I can't bring myself to cough up $40 and up for a pillow. So (sew?) here I go again with the darn sewing machine. And here's the latest project at Cottonwood Drive.......
We moved to our new house at the end of June and the new dining room and landing windows have been bare since then.
Not a big deal since they let in some nice light and that side of the house is pretty private but I've been obsessing over adding some kind of window treatment to cute them up. I had a ton of extra fabric I from re-covering my dining room chairs. (Read all about that adventure here). I didn't really know how to calculate yardage so I bought way too much and it's just been sitting in the basement since then. I also bought an iron along with my sewing machine since I thought I lost them in the move. Found the irons the day after I bought the new one. I now have three irons. Yay, me and my fabulous organization skills.
I had very little idea of what I was doing and my sewing skills are pretty basic so I thought I would just measure the windows on the inside of the frames and sew a basic square the size of the windows. And that's exactly what I did.
I measured 21x21 inches and ironed down the sides where I would sew the seams. After a few miscalculations....(ummm, I may have forgotten to calculate extra measuring to accommodate the curtain rod!), I had three small squares for the dining room windows and a big one for the landing. I sewed the hems in a (mostly) straight line on all four sides and they were ready. Easier than I thought. If you really hate sewing as much as I do and don't want to attempt it, iron in hemming tape would have worked just fine, too.
I used tension rods that I already had on hand. I was planning to use them to store ribbons in my craft room at one point but I don't' have a craft room any longer. Really. They were just sitting there begging for my attention.
Pushed the rods through the fabric and mounted them on the insides of the windows.
Except they bugged me a little bit. Until I dug out a few more rods and mounted them as well and draped the fabric over them.
Perfect! Little faux Roman shade window treatments. Since they don't need to close for privacy, I figured this was the perfect solution. I used two rods for draping the large window and one for the little ones.
Love! Cuteness factor went way up.